Many organizations are facilitating live manikin- or SP-based simulations over virtual platforms (Zoom, etc.). Here, we are collecting advice and resources for planning and facilitating experiential learning at a distance. If you know of a good resource we should include, please leave a comment below or contact us!
Self-learning course available! Simulation Canada’s micro-course: Sim by Webconference – Facilitating Virtually. Previous live sessions are archived and available for asynchronous learning from some of Canada’s leaders in telesimulation. Details & Registration >
- Summary of guidelines published in Simulation in Healthcare from healthysimulation.com
- Infographic: Virtual Class Etiquette – courtesy of @talk2nemat
- Infographic: Learner’s Virtual Debriefing Checklist
Facilitation, Briefing & Debriefing
- INACSL: Webinar – Prebriefing: A Guide for Online, Remote and Virtual Simulations
- SSH: Webinar – Utilizing Zoom for Remote Simulation Education
- Center for Medical Simulation: Webinar – Facilitating Experiential Learning Online
- Paper: Cheng A et al. A practical guide to virtual debriefings: communities of inquiry perspective. Advances in Simulation 2020:5(18).
- Paper: Honda R & McCoy CE. Teledebriefing in Medical Simulation. StatPearls 2020: Jan.
Resuscitation & Acute Care
- EM Sim Cases: Virtual Resus Room technique using screensharing and webconference to work through cases
- Barry Robinson: Virtual Vital Signs Monitor – FREE
Working With Standardized Patients
- Association of Standardized Patient Educators (ASPE): Webinar – SP Telecommunication at the Time of COVID-19
- Association of Standardized Patient Educators (ASPE): Collection of Distance Learning and Telehealth Teaching Resources – includes list of publications
- University of Pittsburgh: SP Orientation to Zoom
- University of Minnesota: Webinar – Zooming with SPs in COVID-19 Response
- From Avkin: Virtual Sims (tracheostomy, communication) | Urinary Catheterization | Additional Tracheostomy
University of Minnesota: Webinar – Interprofessional Online Simulation in COVID-19 Response
In addition to Zoom, Google Meetings, GoTo, etc.
- WeVu – Canadian cloud platform for sharing video asynchronously in groups, with time-specific comments – for ongoing, remote debriefing and dialogue.
- Reacts – Canadian platform for distance coaching, debriefing and augmented reality
- CAE Healthcare – Advice for enabling distance learning via LearningSpace
- UbiSim – created a VR Sim Recorder for faculty to record and share videos of simulations in their VR simulator
- EMS (SimulationIQ) – webinars and information resources for enabling distance simulations, plus telemedicine training resources and platform for virtual OSCEs
- VentiSim from Nasco Healthcare can be used with webconferencing for distance learning for RTs
- Acadicus guidance on running VR simulations over webconference
- LiquidGoldConcept – Lactation QBank: On-demand, video call simulations with standardized patients for maternal-child education