Brief vignettes and decision-making points allow the learner to consider supportive communication and care for a patient experiencing psychosis.
- Identify non-verbal and verbal responses which perpetuate stigma related to mental health.
- Assess the patient, the situation, and the environment to identify potential risks to the patient or themselves.
- Apply therapeutic communication techniques to support a patient experiencing a mental health emergency.
- Identify components of capacity for patient refusal.
- Consider community resources which support mental health and wellness in their community.
Simulation Modality:Virtual gaming simulation / virtual patient
This simulation’s scenario and script were formally peer-reviewed by two external institutions, then the final simulation was pilot tested by several students on a student testing committee then as part of the Virtu-WIL Student Program’s rollout.
Keywords:260, Affinity Learning
Brockbank B, Osinga M, Mormul S, Sherrer M. Paramedic Response to Psychosis. Simulation resource published by Simulation Canada; 2023. Available from https://simulationcanada.ca/scenario/paramedic-response-to-psychosis/.Copy Citation
The information about this resource and any downloadable files are shared under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Undergraduate / post-secondary
Fields / Disciplines:
Emergency / trauma