As the MLT working the bench, help your coworker prioritize and complete blood product requests that come in throughout your shift.
Primary Learning Outcome: By the end of this simulation, the participant will be able to:
- Receive a request for a blood product and select the appropriate/compatible product type to prepare for issue.
- Assess compatibility testing for patients with diverse transfusion requirements.
- Select the appropriate product for issue.
- Prioritize product requests appropriately.
- Communicate clinical information effectively to various healthcare provider.
- Monitor and manage blood product inventory effectively.
Simulation Modality:Virtual gaming simulation / virtual patient
This simulation’s scenario and script were formally peer-reviewed by two external institutions, then the final simulation was pilot tested by several students on a student testing committee then as part of the Virtu-WIL Student Program’s rollout.
McKellar R. Compatibility Bench – Selecting Appropriate Blood Products. Simulation resource published by Simulation Canada; 2023. Available from https://simulationcanada.ca/scenario/compatibility-bench-selecting-appropriate-blood-products/.Copy Citation
The information about this resource and any downloadable files are shared under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Medical Laboratory Science
Undergraduate / post-secondary
Fields / Disciplines: