Practice the collection and processing of four separate patient blood culture samples in the laboratory.
- Obtain appropriate blood culture samples for laboratory analysis.
- Assess the suitability of the blood culture specimen for testing.
- Determine common clinically significant bacterial pathogens according to the circulatory system.
- Select appropriate culture media and environment according to the specimen collected.
- Select the appropriate key tests to perform according to the colonial morphology and Gram stain results.
- Determine the expected test results for each bacterial pathogen.
Simulation Modality:Virtual gaming simulation / virtual patient
This simulation’s scenario and script were formally peer-reviewed by two external institutions, then the final simulation was pilot tested by several students on a student testing committee then as part of the Virtu-WIL Student Program’s rollout.
Keywords:230e, Affinity Learning
Goulding H. Blood Cultures. Simulation resource published by Simulation Canada; 2023. Available from https://simulationcanada.ca/scenario/blood-cultures/.Copy Citation
The information about this resource and any downloadable files are shared under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Medical Laboratory Science
Undergraduate / post-secondary