A 39 yo woman is in hospital for day surgery. She is stable before and after induction of anesthesia. A few minutes after the surgical procedure begins, smoke will quickly fill the room and the team must respond to a fire in the OR.
1. Distinguish fire threat to patient from fire threat to all people present
2. Discuss ethical principles of evacuation vs. abandonment (e.g. explosions)
3. Experience the process by which an anesthetized patient is evacuated from the OR
4. Describe site-specific processes for summoning emergency help
5. Describe some key components of clinical teamwork and identify applications in their practice
1. Individual institutional code red policy.
2. Identify methods of improvement of non- technical skills/behavioral skills
Morgan P. Fire in the Operating Room. Simulation resource published by Simulation Canada; 2015. Available from https://simulationcanada.ca/scenario/fire-in-the-operating-room/.Copy Citation
The information about this resource and any downloadable files are shared under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Continuing professional development
Graduate / postgraduate / residency
Fields / Disciplines:
Anesthesia / peri-anesthesia care