A 55 yo woman with increased risk for perioperative cardiac event comes to the hospital for day surgery. She is stable during unduction of anesthesia. Shortly into the operation her vital signs become unstable. The team must recognize and respond to unstable atrial fibrillation.
1. Describe management of unstable narrow complex tachycardia
2. Perform synchronised DC cardioversion
3. Recognise when malignant arrhythmias require adherence to ACLS algorithms
4. Recall potential causes of atrial fibrillation and seek to eliminate those systematically
5. Describe some key components of clinical teamwork and identify applications in their practice
1. Review contents of emergency ‚’crash‚Äô cart
2. Identify methods of improvement of non- technical skills/behavioral skills
Morgan P, Tarshis J. Atrial Fibrillation During Surgery. Simulation resource published by Simulation Canada; 2015. Available from https://simulationcanada.ca/scenario/atrial-fibrillation-during-surgery/.Copy Citation
The information about this resource and any downloadable files are shared under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Continuing professional development
Graduate / postgraduate / residency
Fields / Disciplines:
Anesthesia / peri-anesthesia care