A generally healthy 35-year-old woman comes to the hospital for day surgery. She received a dose of cefalexin pre-operatively. Soon after, she begins to complain of itchiness and a rash. This proceeds to a full anaphylactic reaction that the team must manage.
1. Recognise the clinical features of anaphylaxis
2. Demonstrate immediate team-orientated approach to anaphylaxis treatment
3. Seek and eliminate all possible precipitants of anaphylaxis from an OR
4. Describe site-specific processes for transferring a ventilated patient to an external ICU
5. Describe some key components of clinical teamwork and identify applications in their practice
1. Review contents of emergency ‚’crash‚Äô cart
2. Identify methods of improvement of non- technical skills/behavioral skills
Morgan P, Tarshis J. Anaphylaxis. Simulation resource published by Simulation Canada; 2015. Available from https://simulationcanada.ca/scenario/anaphylaxis/.Copy Citation
The information about this resource and any downloadable files are shared under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Continuing professional development
Graduate / postgraduate / residency
Fields / Disciplines:
Anesthesia / peri-anesthesia care