- Status: Temporary Part Time (January 2023 – April 2024)
- Hours: Up to 24 hours/week
- Home Campus: IAHS
- Rate of Pay: $25.80
- Posting Date: January 3rd, 2023
- Closing Date: Posted until filled
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. We are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive (EDI) environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk College. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
Health Sciences Simulation Technologist
Reporting to the Director, Simulation, Business Development, Inter-Professional Learning, this position will be responsible for the daily operation of complex simulation apparatus; high, medium and low-fidelity mannequins, as well as PC’s, simulation platforms and other medical simulation equipment at the IAHS. The incumbent will support the set-up, use, and maintenance of simulation and practice equipment within the IAHS including preparing daily equipment and supplies/disposables in accordance with course learning plans and using the WASP inventory management system. The successful candidate will work in a hybrid model, 80% on-campus/20% remote. This is subject to change and the work schedule is determined to align with the academic program area.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing daily equipment and supplies/disposables requests in accordance with course learning plans and student requests for practice sessions.
- Assist faculty, instructors, staff and students in the use of a variety of simulator technologies, equipment, materials and supplies in an instructional setting, including creating skills videos using Panapto
- Assist students with accessing LearningSpace software, problem solve any connection issues.
- Ensure all learners complete confidentiality form and use of technology agreement and arrange for the scanning and archiving of them electronically.
- Perform pre-simulation activities including powering up simulators, mannequins, patient monitors, AV equipment and other electronic equipment and test to ensure proper function prior to each simulation session. Program patient scenarios. Prepare mannequins as per the simulation scenario; including filling simulated blood and body fluid chambers, applying wounds and dressings, inserting tubes, using moulage. Stock patient rooms and equipment carts with supplies and equipment needed for specific simulation scenarios, including medications, doctors’ orders etc.
- Programs patient care simulators, prepares scenario props, and creates scenario moulage to model physiological responses to the clinical and skill objectives and specifications identified by academic programs
- Perform post simulation activities including operating debriefing equipment. Cleans patient rooms; including changing linens, cleaning surfaces, draining simulated blood and body fluids from mannequins, cleaning mannequins.
- Serve as the simulation operator during educational sessions.
- Maintain a clean and safe learning lab environment, including sim room organization
- Restores laboratory to pre-scenario conditions as required
- Provide support and orientations to faculty and instructors on tours of the simulation or skills labs.
- Explains to learners the use of patient care simulators and related media and computer equipment.
- Provide support and training to standardized patients
- Liaise with inventory control team to ensure adequate supplies are available for upcoming labs and simulations
- Ensures student compliance (and faculty awareness) with lab policies, procedures, and safety precautions
- Perform operational checks on equipment
- Participate in technical training as necessary
- Participates in Campus Open Houses and similar events to showcase the simulation and health science labs
Other duties as assigned.
The successful applicant must have:
- 4-year Degree in a related field of studies
- Minimum 5 years experience as health care professional, nursing or allied health profession with medical/surgical experience
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to perform under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent public speaking skills, communication skills both written and verbal
- Experience with simulation required.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace. This would include experience communicating and working effectively with diverse clients and colleagues.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 – 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/